Monday, January 11, 2010

Break is over!

Break is over, and classes are in full swing here at Wittenberg. Since I'm hoping to teach my board games course next semester, I'm already trying to figure out how to peddle that notion to students.

I'm excited to be teaching the Intro Programming Languages course, as well as the Intro to Programming course. For this semester I'm learning two new languages and "recovering" two. Very exciting!

Similarly exciting, I'm hoping to get my research drive kicked in a bunch. I acquired four different games this holiday season (Boggle, Bananagrams, Mancala and Cave Troll). I've already played a bunch of that last one, and I think it must be NP-hard to figure out if you can win...

... which I'll hope to discuss later! I'm also preparing two papers for submission to FUN 2010 (due Friday!) so I can pretend that this blog is not my only research activity. :)

I actually have a bunch of Calls for Papers taped to my wall, but I'm not sure how relevant any of them are. We'll see what gets done!

I have some notes on my board about potential posts, but I'm still interested in talking about what people want to hear about! Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to discuss!

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. You might also want to consider the board game "Fjords" which is only for two players. The game has two parts - the first you construct a map of fjords and the second you place farms on the map. Whoever has the most wins. The second portion of this game is purely combinatorial (and one of the few I've found with this property).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul,

    that looks like a cool game! I would need to pick up a set first... Perhaps the board game group here has it...

    -Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mancala? I totally have to stop by, now!! -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,

    please do! I will bring my Mancala set in to the office :)

    ReplyDelete